13 January, 2012

Capers & Berries; Easy Living Lunch & Dinner


Lately I've been watching episodes of Top Chef Just Desserts, so I might as well admit it: I've been influenced by the sweeter side of life.  I'm also one to search out the cheapest, most delicious and healthy item on a menu.  They always say that breakfast is the cheapest meal if you are eating out, so I took this to heart when ordering an impromptu lunch on the road this week.


After a swim I ducked into Bonjour Brioche on the other side of the tracks for a simple (and sweet) breakfast-for-lunch: fruit salad with house made granola and yogurt.  My surprise was the cherry on top - of course! - and the perky poster for culottes in the ladies' room. (I do not recommend this place for its restrooms).  There was barely enough yogurt to round out the flavours, but I was satiated by an exciting array of fruit and nuts.  The tiniest orange segments and the tartest blackberries... I think it was gone in minutes.  I'm not sure, I wasn't paying attention.

Ladies' room decor at Bonjour Brioche
Later that evening, I was missing my younger sister and her style of cooking (easy and nutritious) and starting to feel the love for Heidi Swanson's recipes.  I discovered an incredibly simple and delicious meal preparation that (strangely) resembles both dessert and breakfast:  Quesadilla with an egg, a little bit of cheese, yogurt, capers, and lemon zest.  Between eating out for lunch and making this zippy meal for dinner I'm feeling pretty good about life right now.  (Recipe follows).


Quesadilla (adapted from 101cookbooks.com)

Make the yogurt topping:
In a small bowl, combine a teaspoon of lemon zest with a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt and a wee bit of salt.  Set aside.

Make the fried capers:
Rinse 2 teaspoons in water and dry on a paper towel.  Pan fry them with a wee bit of olive oil until crispy.  Remove to a small plate or cutting board.

Make the quesadilla:
Grate a bit of asiago and set aside.  Add a bit of olive oil to a small fry pan then crack an egg in it when it's hot.  Let it set for a few seconds in the pan, making a large enough spread that will match the size of the naan bread (or tortilla) you are using.  Place the bread on top of the still runny egg so it has a chance to stick to the egg.  When the egg is halfway cooked, flip the quesadilla over (to egg side up).  Sprinkle the cheese on top of the egg and let it melt and the bread brown.  Remove to a plate and fold in half.

Top with the yogurt and capers.  Serve with half an avocado - enjoy!