I tried to fit it all in. I built a "menu" of places to go, starting with Kensington Market Monday for Cafe Pamenar and back on Augusta Avenue Saturday morning for wood-fired bagels. For my last week in Toronto I wanted to indulge in snacks, drinks and of course bike rides on streets that I love in my neighbourhood: Queen, College, Crawford, Ossington, Dundas...
I also built a list of goodbyes, discovering my Toronto friends and family really know their food:
- five o'clock hugs with Janey accompanied by oysters and white wine at 416 Snack Bar
- artisanal drinks in vintage glasses at the Northwood with Leah
- French pastries at Nadege with Helena
- homemade lobster rolls followed by Leah's dessert with local strawberries
- quinoa and seared scallops and an unbaked local cherry cheesecake by Bojan and Angela
- "Pie Thursday" at House of Cool with a champagne toast
- sampling the new pastry known as a "cronut" at a cupcake cafe on Dundas (I didn't like it)
- Friday night steak and asparagus BBQ at Jacob and Jessica's
- a rustic brunch with our beloved supper club group at Zocalo Restaurant
- a second brunch at The Saint with the Toronto crew of Sheriden grads mixed with wives, new boyfriends and beautiful children (Maggie and Chloe)
The build up to our leaving Toronto was intense and the drive to the airport a bit stressful with two freaked out felines singing all the way to Pearson. Then just like that (cue finger snap) we are back in Halifax, driving on a smooth highway flanked by thousands of trees and summer ocean air.
At the airport I was told my luggage was 20 pounds overweight.
Must have been all the good food I ate.